HOW-TO CARRY A GENUINE SMILE EVERY DAY
by Denalee of Silver Strands
Denalee is an inspiration. She says this about her blog, The idea for this blog came to me when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Being her only child with silver hair, I decided to shave my head and donate my silver strands to make a wig for her to wear until her own silver strands grew back. I realized that all over the world there are people and organizations that are giving their own "silver strands" every day, and I want to promote them and share the little miracles I find with you.
click here for the movie of Denalee and her loved ones creating the beloved buzz cut in honor of her mother. she looks beautiful and is wearing a smile the whole way through!
1. Wake up slowly. A sudden jolt from sleep with a rush directly in to a bright bathroom can suppress a smile for an entire day!
2. When getting out of bed, roll out and land on your knees. Lean against the bed for a good several minutes and begin the day with prayer. Begin with gratitude for sleep, then plan your day in prayer.
3. Breakfast. I’m not kidding. Your mother was right! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Take time to eat before the day really begins.
4. Positive Affirmations. If you don’t have them, it’s time to start. If you’re new at this, start with just one. For beginners, it’s best to start with an obvious strength. What are you good at? What do you like? It may be something like: “I have gorgeous, honest eyes” or “I am a straight-A student” or “I make everyone around me happy” or “I love exercise”. Find something, repeat it at least 10 times in a row, 3 or 4 times a day. When you get more seasoned, try a phrase that you WANT to have describe you … before you know it, it’ll be true!
5. Play this game every day, suggested by Og Mandino in “The Greatest Salesman in the World”: And how will I confront each whom I meet? In only one way. In silence and to myself I will address him and say I Love You. Though spoken in silence these words will shine in my eyes, unwrinkle my brow, bring a smile to my lips and echo in my voice; and his heart will be opened.
6. Play this game suggested by me: Try to make eye contact with everyone you see. Count those who won’t look at you (surprising how few that number is) then when you do make eye contact, smile. Count those who don’t smile back (almost no one). Then realize that your smile is contagious, and by just being you, you’ve created a plethora of smiles that have rippled out and filled the world.
7. Before climbing into bed at night, close the day on your knees in prayer. Report on your day, and focus on the gifts of the day.
GUARANTEE: If you follow these steps for 3 weeks, no matter the circumstances, you will carry a genuine smile every single day. There’s no stopping it. You won’t be able to hold it in. And before you know it, the whole world will be smiling, because as you will have learned, your smile is truly contagious!
image via zack attack
the how-to series is here to encourage confidence in the creativity and skills you have to offer. i am excited to showcase your talents and unique ideas. if you have something to share (especially holiday ideas) please submit your how-to guest post and coordinating photo (optional) by emailing me: marta at martawrites dot com. i will be delighted to feature your how-to in the future.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden